Statistically these are some riveting facts that plague so many people each year. Look at the following and try not to be shocked by this information…
- Worldwide, back pain is the single leading cause of disability, preventing many people from engaging in work as well as other everyday activities.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain accounts for more than 264 million lost work days in one year—that’s two work days for every full-time worker in the country.
- Experts estimate that up to 80% of the population will experience back pain at some time in their lives.
- Back pain can affect people of all ages, from adolescents to the elderly.
- Back pain is the third most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, behind skin disorders and osteoarthritis/joint disorders.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Most people with low back pain recover, however reoccurrence is common and for small percentage of people the condition will become chronic and disabling.
- Worldwide, years lived with disability caused by low back pain have increased by 54% between 1990 and 2015.
- Low-back pain costs Americans at least $50 billion in health care costs each year—add in lost wages and decreased productivity and that figure easily rises to more than $100 billion.
After reading this, one might wonder what the best way would be to avoid such things happening to themselves… Well, look no further! Seeing your family chiropractor regularly can keep this dreaded lower back pain away and keep you moving. By removing subluxations (pressure placed on the spinal nerves from your vertebrae) you are already decreasing the likelihood of succumbing to such lower back pain.
So, keep your back in tip top shape and get adjusted regularly!